March 8, 2013

Home


**Linking with Lisa-Jo for Five Minute Fridays. What can you write in five minutes about Home?**

We've moved a lot. Two states, three cities, and five houses in twelve years. I know to some that is nothing. But this girl grew up well-rooted in the same house her grandmother built. My people stay. They are not the sedentary kind.

I knew when I married him that pastors migrate. That's what we do. We move. So home is an elusive word for me. And having my heart in two countries just makes it harder. Is "home" Ecuador, where I grew up? Is "home" my mother's house in Kansas where I've never lived? Where do I go when I go "home" for a holiday?

My life is not to stay put. My kids won't grow up in the same house and come home from college to the house where they took their first step. That is just not how we roll and it is not what we were called to do, this family.

So home for me is where he is. And where she lays her head at night. And where he plays with his bear. Home is where all four of us gather at night, regardless of continent, state, or house. They are my home because He has moved heaven and earth for a boy from South Carolina to meet a girl from Quito, Ecuador to become parents of two children who look nothing like us.

I am home when I am with them. 


                                                               Any time. Anywhere. 

13 comments:

Vicki M Taylor said...

Loved your vision of home. Followed you from FiveMinuteFriday. Have a blessed day!

WesAnna said...

Perfect!

Lori Poppinga said...

AMEN! So true and so precious.

Hayley Navey said...

I SO identify with the whole "pastor" situation! I married a pastor's kid, and he will soon be begininning his first year of seminary! I am such a homebody, but have learned through our first move that I am most content when I am where He places me. This is so important as we begin praying over a church plant. Still building up the courage to follow fearlessly!! Love this post!

Phyllis Lipford said...

Gaby, this is so true ... family = home. God bless yours wherever you may be.

Mariah Magagnotti said...

Super super sweet. Such a great perspective, rather than focusing on what it's not, focusing on what it is.

Gaby said...

Mariah, I had not seen it that way, but yes! Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Gaby said...

Thank you, Phyllis! Home truly is where your heart is, right?

Gaby said...

Oh, blessings, Hayley! God will help you bloom where you are planted if you are open to what He has to show you wherever you go.

Gaby said...

Thank you, Vicki!

Michelle Eichner said...

Great perspective! And one I totally agree with. What's interesting is that I've had the exact opposite experience growing up that you did. In fact, I joked with my parents that part of my wedding vows would be, "I promise to stay in one place more than 5 years." :) But it is the people that make the place a home. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Michelle

Debbie said...

Amen to this. It is not the building that makes the home any more than it's the building that makes the church.

Jean Wise said...

I am very late in commenting on this post but I just love it. YOu are so right - home is when we are with those we love. enjoyed the photo too. Thanks Gabby for enriching my weekend with your words and thoughts