October 9, 2011

It Happened at Daycare!

Here is the latest entry for Adoptive Families Circle. They won't let you comment there unless you are a member, so if you have some comment-love for me, please, please come back here and talk to me!

"When you have a multicultural, multilingual, and multiracial family you get used to some strange comments, bizarre questions, and amazing assumptions.
Some you are prepared to deal with, some you learn to handle as you encounter them, some are forgettable, and some stay with you and don't let go. There is one such interaction in particular I remember and it happened at daycare."

Read the rest of the story here:

http://www.adoptivefamiliescircle.com/blogs/post/transracial-families-talking-about-adoption-myths/

7 comments:

Joanna B said...

Isn't is funny, the assumptions people make...Last week in Target, some stranger asked me if I ever wanted natural children. I was so taken aback. Adoption has definitely made me more sensitive, both to others, and to my daughter! Great post, thanks for sharing!

Deborah said...

It is so hard to answer those questions! Like you, usually all I manage is a confused/annoyed look, that usually does the trick anyway. It'll be even harder as our kids get older and really understand what's behind the questions.

Kathleen T. Jaeger said...

Ahhh, we are shaped but our experiences and we tend to judge by the cover though we "know" we shouldn't. Thank you for your graceful one on one education and assumption that most don't speak out of malevolence but rather ignorance.

Jennifer said...

Hi, Gaby! I've tried a couple times, but my computer won't open the link--it says it exceeded some size or something.

I will come back and try again because I really want to read your post!

Gaby said...

Jennifer, thank you for letting me know. It should work now. The editors changed the name of the post after it was published and when they did, the old link quit working. Thank you for trying! If you do it now, it should work.

Jennifer said...

I always love reading your posts b/c you help me see my assumptions, as well. I definitely have more cultural knowledge than that poor daycare worker, but, I have to admit, I probably would've make a similar assumption as to where you adopted your children (if I didn't already know). I guess in my experiences with individuals who have adopted, most who have adopted domestically did come home with white children. I will never make that assumption again!

Katie said...

Thanks for writing this :) I am trying to prepare myself for these conversations already. We already get the "where are you adopting from?" and once we reply, lots of blank stares and being asked to repeat myself. I've been away from blogging so long, and just wanted to stop by and say hi. I've tried to email you a few times but I don't think they went through. Hope all is well with you Miss Gaby!