March 25, 2011

On Waking Up

It is Five-Minute Friday again. I'm liking up with The Gypsy Mama. You have five minutes. Period. Now write!
Then…
I used to wake up to an alarm. I used to snooze two or three times dreading getting out of bed. I used to have a hard time opening my eyes, get going, get motivated and energized for the day.
I used to wake up to blaring noise in the radio and in my head.
 I used to wake up already stressed, jump in the shower, put on my clothes, put on make-up, be out the door by 6:15 to be at work by 6:30. I used to be tired all day from too little sleep. I used to fight waking up.
I used to wake up only to want to sleep again.
Now…
I wake up to the smell of coffee brewing in the kitchen. I wake up to a day to spend with my children. I wake up to teach Isabel to read and Noah to behave.
I wake up and look forward to the day.
I wake up to a child jumping into my bed and snuggling with me. I wake up to tickling and kissing and calls for help with breakfast.
 I wake up to love and laughter.
I wake up to the Holy Spirit’s gentle nudging to get up before anyone and spend some time in prayer and the word. It will be a long day. You will need it.
I wake up to be in his presence.
Now I wake up to the sounds and smells of the life God dreamt for me more than a decade ago.
More on this next week…

15 comments:

eloranicole said...

oh goodness. this resonates with me in a big way. then & now. i think i'm living in my "then" most days - still dreaming with God what my "now" will look like.

Deborah said...

That sounds so wonderful! And how wonderful that you were able to take the leap into SAHM-hood, not knowing how it would work out, and it's worked out.

Erin P. said...

Great words, girl!!! Hugs to you!

Heather Mattern said...

Thanks for your encouraging comment, its great to know that in time it will get easier. I cling tightly to Father because the warfare has been great!

Kim said...

I love your point, "I wake up to the Holy Spirit’s gentle nudging to get up before anyone and spend some time if prayer and the word. It will be a long day. You will need it."

So true! It is often too tempting to believe we are too busy or too hurried to spend time with Him, and yet, when we take that time, we benefit far more from those few minutes than by doing anything else that was on our list. Thank you for the reminder

Unknown said...

AMEN!
Although I am still enjoying my sleep in time as we are nearing a time when that won't be possible anymore! ;)

Katie said...

I love it! I can't wait either! Thanks for sharing Gaby!

AC said...

I love how you are waking up now, we have similar wake up calls :)

Mel said...

Those are fabulous reasons to get up! I get up to His nudgings quite often too. Thank you for the reminder to wake up grateful and with joy!

Blessings,
Mel
Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

Jennifer said...

I love your perspective, Gaby. I'm still learning to love waking up. :)

Carrie said...

Waking up to snuggling kids sounds fun!

P.S. - That is awesome you are teaching your children English and Spanish, I want to do that someday too.

Ruth said...

I love those early morning snuggles! I have a couple kids that will crawl in bed with me and cuddle for a few minutes before we get coffee and breakfast.

Unknown said...

This is amazing. Will you be sharing what is to come on Tuesday? I bet a lot of people would love to read it!!

Gaby said...

I will, Jen. I'll link it to SDG on Tuesday. I can't wait to read the other stories as well!

stephanie said...

Gaby, you really have inspired me. I am a working mom, and I actually like working. But getting up in the morning...ughhhh...it is still so painful for me. I want to learn to wake up in joy like you are!